You need a good steamboat soup for an enjoyable steamboat feast. There are many ready-made soups that you can buy from the supermarkets, but there is nothing that beats the real thing. Here is a simple recipe that you can use to make a delicious steamboat soup.
This serves around 4-6 people.
You will need:
1. 10 garlic cloves, sliced
2. 1 tablespoon of tamarind pulp
3. 150 ml of boiling water
4. 1200 ml of water
5. 2 tablespoons of Thai fish sauce
6. 8 tablespoons of vegetable oil
7. 1 teaspoon of caster sugar
8. 1 small pineapple, cut into huge chunks
9. 170g of tomatoes, cut into 4 pieces each
10. 8 spring onions
11. 250g of prawns
12. 3 squids, cut into thick rings
13. 250g of fish fillets, preferably cod fish
14. some coriander leaves
15. 2 chillies, sliced thinly
Here are the directions:
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan and when it is hot, deep-fry the garlic until it is golden-brown to bring out its fragrance. Drain the oil away and leave the garlic on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
2. Put the tamarind pulp into a mixer bowl with the boiling water and leave it to stand for 20 minutes. Allow the pulp to dissolve. Strain the liquid through a sieve and discard the residue. Put the liquid into a saucepan with the water and mix it with the sugar, pineapple, tomatoes, spring onions and fish sauce. Cook until
3. Pour the mixture into the hot pan and add in the garlic, prawns, squid rings and fish fillets. Allow it to simmer for 6 minutes.
4. Serve the steamboat while it is hot.
This is a delicious soup base and you can add in all the seafood that you need for a fantastic family gathering. Top it up with coriander leaves and chillies for added flavour.